New game: scrabble

51 messages, 2 pages: 12  ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +25

31. Emerald,

Ok thanks. Yes please keep the ability to play alone as it is easier to practice and the bugs aren’t that bad. Only thing is that if a spectator joins and leaves, the game ends but other than that its all ok and I’m sure you will find a way of making the game be as smooth as possible.

Score: +1

32. YNWA,

Would it be possible for the computer to sort our tiles into consonants and vowels to help players create words more easily.

As it is : E O R O S H E

As I suggest: H R S E E O O

Even listening to them in this way Horse sticks out already.

I was given this advice years ago to help me find words easier.

Score: +0

Last edited by YNWA, Nov 17 2022 22:16:02

33. Snake_Eyes,

Hello,
that's indeed a nice tip, although of course each person may prefer a different way of sorting. You can always sort your tiles according to your own needs. Either using shift+up and down arrow keys if you're viewing your hand in the d-key menu, or you can swap letter positions in navigation mode if you press shift+two numbers shortly after each other.

Score: +2

34. Aminiel,

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion. The next update will allow sorting like you say, or just alphabetically.

35. Vojvoda,

One little annoying thing I've noticed:
when you press g and select letters that you want to Exchange, after selecting a letter the focus throws you always back to the first letter.

36. Aminiel,

Hello,

You can now sort your tiles alphabetically or consonants and then vowels by pressing the I key.

Score: +3

37. SheWolf,

Also am not sure, but i think that it creates also a bit nonsensical words, or probably they mean something, but... Well for example eau. Or ena. Etc.

38. Nikola,

Hello,
finally I have found an example grid to post where all words are not announced.

You must make sure to have the letters A, G and E in your hand, and then load the following grid:

3YE3DESAND/3EL8IF/3TA8DE/3IT9ZA/4I10L/4OP8QI/4NAB2D6K/5MORE3J2OE/6YEW3O2V/7BA3U2E/6CONFINER/7P2L2C2C/7SHE2E2UH/8AX4TI/2GLARING6M/

Now, vertically, from C1 to C3, play the word age. You'll hear the following:

You place "AYE", in C1, for 6 points, "GEL", in C2, for 4 points and "ETA", in C3, for 6 points, for a total of 24 points.

Of course, 6+4+6 doesn't give 24 points, but the most important word, vertical age for 8 points is not announced here at all. At least it is properly scored, so it's not a game breaking bug, more just a display error.

39. Snake_Eyes,

@Vojvoda, for now, try selecting the letters with space instead of enter, this shouldn't move the focus back to the beginning.

Score: +3

Last edited by Snake_Eyes, Nov 18 2022 18:43:30

40. YNWA,

Option I to sort your letters is excellent. Even better than my original suggestion and that is great. However, the word consonant needs to be changed as it has a couple of errors in the spelling.

41. Sentinel,

Hi there.
When playing with a sighted friend, they wanted to see my screen to determine if the interface on the Windows client would be accessible to them.
It could be a setting I have misapplied, but they saw neither tiles not grid on my screen.
I hope it's something on my end, because the interface works well on their account on the web client on their iPhone and my iPad.
Either way, I thought folks ought to know.

42. Aminiel,

Hello,

No, sorry, scrabble isn't usable by sighted people currently. I'll certainly try to fix that in the future, probably in a next major client release, but it will still take quite a while.

43. Aminiel,

Hello,

I have finally decided that playing alone will stay forever.

It's a good way to familiarize with the game, and, maybe that one day, we will be able to play in duplicate mode. I haven't yet found an open source engine and I don't have the impression that it exists, but we never know.

For those who don't know duplicate mode, that's a mode where you play alone. You have a limited time to make your move, and then the computer tells you what was the best solution and place it on the grid.
This is often used in tournaments, because it totally removes randomness, and it allows thousends of people to participate (all play on the same grid at the same time).

44. Ryo-Bee,

Hi, my sited brother was able to play via the web on windows but says the experience is not very good. It would be great to have the game accessible for those sited, as it is one of the more mainstream ones on pr. Also, for playing alone, I was wondering what do you think about having a scoreboard, as there is for arcade mode? I think it will be a lot of fun.

45. Nikola,

Hello,
there is a bug with time limit.
If you pass your turn, the timer for the next player doesn't reset properly.
Pressing T shows you the correct restarted time, however, in reality, for example if player A had 5 seconds remaining and passed his turn with P, player B will also have 5 seconds remaining, even if it shows the new time.

The same happens when exchanging your letters.

46. sky360,

hi.. just noticed something, if you play an invalid word, then your hand is not sorted properly.

47. Adventure-Time,

Hello,
when the table master starts the game, he or she goes always first. Would it be possible to change this so that the game selects the starting player randomly?

48. sky360,

hello! when a saved table is restored, the timer goes mad and starts counting negative, it doesn't seem to work properly until the turn is changed or a word is placed and f is pressed.

49. Aminiel,

Hello,

The bugs related to the timer should be solved now.

50. sky360,

hello! the shortcut key to set game options alt o doesn't work in scrabble table. maybe this might be intentional, but just bringing it to your notice

51. Nikola,

Hello,
another small suggestion, just like the time limit, it would be nice to announce at the start of the game if the option to have a penalty/skip your turn for invalid words is enabled.

Thanks for all the fixes by the way, everything I have reported on here seems to be resolved now.

51 messages, 2 pages: 12  ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post