Life as a blind person. Tips, tricks...

67 messaggi, 3 pagine:  12 3 ↖ Torna alla lista degli argomenti

Punteggio: +13

31. Aayushi_the_explorer,

I tried to learn but my full name was difficult Aayushi Sanghvi. mostly using AS or other combination can be copied and full thing is tough.

Punteggio: +0

32. lucy_light,

I can barely sign, but I have trustful help, so I am doing both.

33. sound2,

When I was at school. My mobility teacher did try to teach me to sign, it didn't work. I get very anctious in such situations. So I use a fingerprint. Many here in south Africa, sign with a cross, because they weren't taught to read. I've never come across a sign guide though.

34. Emerald,

Signing doesn’ always mean you got to write your name. In my opinion you can do whatever you want like i heard someone draws a boat and there’s others who just draw hearts etc. you can pretty much adopt a squiggle so long as you keep it the same. You can do a symbol or just one letter. As long as you can redo it and it represents you its fine

35. Quintin-Dziadkiewicz,

I think I may be the only person who finds the concept of signing as a blind person silly and kind of pointless. Almost none of it makes sense. How is the person supposed to verify that the signature on the paper is in fact theirs? What stops an impersonator from copying your signature and claimingthat it doesn't look the same because the person is blind and can't see how they're signing? It seems to be a formality with 0 security benefits for blind people.

Punteggio: +2

36. Marina,

I totally agree and thought about it, in fact my signature is so inconsistent in regards to how I write it, and also what I use, since I noticed I often run out of space so I decided to shorten it. I hope this wouldn't make issues in the future but we sadly can't do anything about it. Accessible digital signature like DocuSign need to become a thing.

Punteggio: +1

37. Aayushi_the_explorer,

what is a DocuSign ? how to do it and where to learn it.

38. Nikola,

Hello,
Docu sign isn't something you learn, it is rather a service to manage digital signatures, and to electronically sign documents. It isn't accessible, however. It does much more than just signatures in practice, but that's the main part related to this topic.

Edit: Clarified in the further post, DocuSign itself is not inaccessible, it only depends on the author of the document.

Ultima edizione da Nikola, 11.06.2024 16:59:47

39. Marina,

I think the accessibility depends on the document creators, not sure what can be done different as I obviously never needed to create one myself haha, but I signed several accessible ones and it was really a comfortable experience. No clue if also the accessibility changed over time, I think the last document I signed with it was in 2022.

40. Nikola,

Ah yes, thanks for that clarification. It seems like they indeed offer an accessible experience and suggestions for document creators, https://www.docusign.com/blog/making-the-signing-experience-accessible-to-all
so I rather just dealt witn an unlucky experience.

41. gemmi,

aren't there any accessible digital signature managers? I heard that Microsoft does offer that kind of thing, but i'm not sure.

42. YNWA,

We don't have to sign much in the UK these days and less since lockdown. Even parcels they don't require a signature as they just take a photo. Agreed I would be different every time and sometimes use a second line if I make the letters too big, lol.

People have their own style of writing, the amount of pressure they put on the pen and so on so those who know what they are doing regarding analysing hand-writing would have methods of identifying who it belonged too.

You can get a plastic credit size guide to help with signatures and you write where the plastic is not.

43. console,

Slowly the requirement to sign has reduced, however in some cases we need to sign for critical documents such as while opening a new bank account.
I really dont think that impersonation is enough in such cases. There is something else in the signature other than your visible handwriting. The tiny movements of your pen that is unique to you, no matter how much your handwriting changes.

44. Emerald,

I aggree. Actually it’s very hard to write like a blind person. You just got to practice. Thats why i say don’t worry about letters, just do a squiggle with a flick or something like that that looks like a signature.

45. sky360,

I also use the metal signature guide. learning the letters is not that hard, but what I found difficult was consistency. like I couldn't reproduce the exact same letter size and style hense why I decided to get the guide.

46. Aayushi_the_explorer,

how to get axect directions while walking on google maps. the directions are not accurate. it says to turn left on a streat but I need to find the tern or ask people. is there any way.

47. gemmi,

here's another problem I encounter very often. how do you manage to get flames control while cooking on gas stove? I mean, how you adjust the levels? to high, medium, and low?

48. Aayushi_the_explorer,

I have same issue too and I get very scared using gass stove. idk I normally cook cold foods.

49. Quintin-Dziadkiewicz,

What is the reason for the fear? As for the stove, from my gas stove experience, they usually make a sound when they are lit and the flame is really high. If the sound is like fwaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it's on the highest temperature. The highest temperature is usually closest to the off position. If you turn it all the way to the other side, that's the lowest temperature. If you turn it to a position that's in between the 2, that's the middle. I guess you could mark them with something or you could memorise which positions suit your need depending on their distance form the lowest temperature. The nice thing about gas is that it's really reactive and the heat goes down immediately if you turn it down. Burn some food, make some smoke. Learn by failing. People around you may judge you, but at least you'll know what not to do for the next time. You're living your life, not them so don't care about what they may think or anything like that.

50. gemmi,

actually the thing is what would be people's think about me, or what will their reactions be. I don't care about them at all in this case. but in general I have this problem. of setting the flame to medium, low and high. well, medium to be specific cuz high and low flame, as you pointed out, can be figured out.

51. bash,

Put your finger close to the stove, but not close enough to touch the flame and burn it. Then you'll be able to figure out how it feels when it's on low, medium or high.

Ultima edizione da bash, 16.06.2024 06:35:17

52. Spongebob,

@Aayushi, I use this trick with Google Maps where I check the distance I need to walk before taking a turn. If it's more than 100m, I continue walking straight until it displays a turn to take after 50m. At this point, I walk straight but at a slower pace while I try to identify any turns by listening to the surroundings.

53. Aayushi_the_explorer,

I will try the gass thing and will check with the google maps. is lazaralo gps or rite hear more usefull?

54. Aayushi_the_explorer,

how you por tea or any hot liquid in the cup without burning your fingers. it has happened to me when I por tea into a cup I burnt my fingers as well.

55. Emerald,

most use a liquid indicator which is a device that you put on the edge of the cup and it will beep or vibrate when it detects liquid near the rim. It will beep or vibrate frantically the more you are at risk of overflowing.

56. Quintin-Dziadkiewicz,

Or you can saved getting scammed by these companies that seem to take advantage of the wallets of blind people and teach yourself to listen to the change in pitch as you're pouring. The more liquid there is in the cup, the higher pitched that peeing pouring sound becomes which means that your cup is almost full. You'll probably overflow the cup a few times while practicing so use plane water to avoid getting your surfaces dirty.

57. lucy_light,

I rarely use any devices, but I have that beeping level detector thing. You need to catch your dexterity, like learn your pots and cups very well to see how you can manage them and get everything in the right order, but if you have nasty handling skills like me, better not :)

58. Shell,

Yeah I don't like this get one blindie device for one small task all the time personally. Life skills, adaptability and flexibility is the best imho. Those who use it though I mean to each their own of course. In addition to what Quintin said if it's something hot you are poring in many cases you can also feel the surface of the container heat up like if it is a glass. So, if you want to fill it up to the brim (which I usually wouldn't recommend with very hot things anyway unless you're used to cooking or absolutely necessary) just put your finger to the point where you want the liquid to reach and you should be able to feel by the temp change when it's gotten there.

59. Marina,

I mostly agree about color detectors, or anything that can already be done by a software on your phone. But it isn't the case in this task. This is not an expensive device and it stays for years.

Also the 2 alternative methods mentioned can sometime not work in different situations, while I use both alternative methods most of the time it's handy to have the device around for when you need it.

First, the sound method can be difficult for some people, specially that sometimes you're in a noisy environment such as having the ventilator on while cooking, and that makes it hard to hear, or sometimes the drink/ way your pouring somehow doesn't make sound.

Second, as already mentioned the second method can be not safe for some people, and besides, you can't do that if you are preparing a drink for someone else, for yourself it's fine but for others, I think that a lot of people wouldn't find it appealing.

60. lucy_light,

That is why I avoid preparing drinks for others, especially if I have to pour from a full bottle or something. I would not like it if someone checked the level with their finger. For myself, um, I can do it either way if I am just going to drink, like I can check with my finger or device, even with my lips sometimes, but when it comes to cooking or preparing stuff for someone else, nope.

Ultima edizione da lucy_light, 24.06.2024 09:42:50

67 messaggi, 3 pagine:  12 3 ↖ Torna alla lista degli argomenti

Rispondere all'argomento

Devi aver loggato per postare.

Password dimenticata ? Crea un account